inin ihuan inon

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Sat Nov 27 20:48:09 UTC 1999

   In my comments on spelling variation in the FC, in my hurry (I prefer
to call it 'too tightly focused'), I forgot to mention a very important
fact:  I hardly ever use or refer to the original spelling form in the FC,
since the variation in it is not relevant for what I am doing now -- in
fact, using it would de-facilitate the work.  So to avoid driving my wagon
through the woods, two forms are maintained in the database: 1) original,
2) regularized.  All operations are carried out on the regularized form.
If the original form is needed, it is available.

   Here is a sample comparison from Book 11:

  This small sample from Book 11 of the FC gives some idea of the
quality and quantity of orthographic variation found in the work.
The first line of each entry is "regularized" and the second Nahuatl
line is in the original orthography.  (I have changed the c cedilla to
'c,'  since my character doesn't travel very well.  Further, the ^
represents a tilde over the preceding vowel.)

It should be noted that regularized orthography still falls short of
being adequate, since it usually omits the glottal stop and does not
mark vowel length at all (but that's the way most of our texts are).

     376.  ozomatli:
        Oc,omatli:
       monkey

     377.  ihuan itoca cuauhchimal,
        yoan itoca quauhchimal,
       its name is also quauhchimal.

     378.  cuauhtla chane, anahuac, tonalixco:
        quauhtla chane, anaoac, tonalixco:
       it is a forest-dweller in anahuac, toward the east.

     379.  cuitlapicic, cuitlapicictic, cuitlaolol, cuitlaololtic:
          cuitlapilhuiac, cuitlapilcocoltic,
        cujtlapicic, cujtlapicictic, cujtlaolol, cujtlaololtic: cujtlapilhujac,
          cujtlapilcocoltic,
       it has a small back--minute; it is round-backed; it is of rounded
          back; it has a long, curled tail.

     380.  tlacamaye, tlacaicxe: izte, huel izte, iztihuihuiac.
        tlacamaie, tlacaicxe: izte, vel izte, iztiviviac.
       it has human hands, human feet, nails, real nails--long nails.

     381.  auh in itlatlachihual motenpapahuiani, mapipitzoani: tehuic
          momamamanani,
        Auh in jtlatlachioal motenpapavianj, mapipitzoanj: tevic momamamananj,
       and as to its actions: it is a shouter, a shrill whistler,
          making gestures toward one.

     382.  tetepachoa, tecuauhtlaxonecuilhuia.
        tetepachoa, tequauhtlaxonecujlhuja.
       it stones one, it hurls sticks at one.

     383.  achi tlacaxayaque:
        Achi tlacaxaiaque:
       it has a face which is a little human.

     384.  pazotic, popoltic, cuitlaololtic, cuitlaolol:
        pac,otic, popoltic, cujtlaololtic, cujtlaolol:
       it is shaggy..., round-backed, of rounded back.

     385.  texcalco in mopilhuatia za centetl in quichihua.
        texcalco in mopilhoatia c,a centetl in qujchioa.
       it bears its young in the crags; it produces only one.

     386.  auh in itlacual mochihua ixquich in tonacayotl, in xochicualli,
          in nacatl huellacatlacua,
        Auh in jtlaqual mochioa ixqujch in tonacaiutl, in xochiqualli,
          in nacatl vellacatlaqua,
       and all the maize, fruit, meat become its food; it eats like
          a human being.

     387.  no quicua in ococintli, no quicua in ahuacuauhtomatl, in
          ahuatomatl, no ihuan in cuauhcelotl.
        no qujqua in ococintli, no qujqua in aoaquauhtomatl, in aoatomatl,
          no yoan in quauhcelutl.
       also it eats pine nuts, acorns, and also tender shoots of trees.

     388.  auh inic maci: huei tletl motlalia, cintli moyahualochtia,
          anozo tlaolli: auh in tleco motoca, cenca huei in cacalotetl.
        Auh injc maci: vei tletl motlalia, cintli moiaoalochtia, anoc,o
          tlaolli: auh in tleco motoca, cenca vei in cacalotetl.
       and to capture them, a large fire is built; ears or kernels
          of maize are put around the edge, and in the blaze is buried
          a very large [stone called] cacalotetl.

     389.  auh in tlamani, in anque, motlaltoca:
        Auh in tlamanj, in anque, motlaltoca:
       and the trappers, the hunters, take cover.

     390.  auh in ye popoca, in manel canin cate, in yehuantin ozomati:
          quihualinecui in tletl, in poctli:
        auh in ie popoca, in manel canjn cate, in iehoa^tin oc,omati:
          qujoalinecuj in tletl, in poctli:
       and when [the fire] smokes, these monkeys, wherever they are,
          smell the fire, the smoke.

     391.  niman hualhui quinmamama in inpilhuan, cololhuitimoteca
          in tletl.
        njman oalhuj qujnmamama in inpilhoan, cololhujtimoteca in
          tletl.
       then they come; they carry their young on their backs; they
          seat themselves about the fire.

     392.  pehua in mozcohua: pehua in mocinixquia in mocalhuia,
        Peoa in mozcooa: peoa in mocinixquja in mocalhuja,
       they begin to warm themselves; the ears of maize begin to roast
          [and] they eat toasted maize.

Best regards,

Joe