Varmints (Re: Does anyone know these?...)

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Sun Nov 28 12:36:36 UTC 1999

Hi,

With so vivid a description, I am almost disappointed to have never
heard about memalooses before. As there is much 'vagueness' in
the list below, it is perhaps not impossible this remarkable 'fellow'
figures somewhere there under another designation:

calxoch. mouse
chachahuatl. dormouse
cuauhquimichin. forest mouse.
huezacotl. kangaroo rat.
mo:tohtli. chipmunk (a ground-squirrel)
motoyahuitl. brown chipmunk.
tepanchichi. mouse
tepanmamal. mouse
tepapa.  kind of mouse
tetzopan. small field mouse
tlalquimichin. field mouse.
tlaltechalotl. ground squirrel.
tozan (1). mole, rat  (may be a specific animal, neither a mole nor a rat?)
tozan (2). gopher (1 Amer. burrowing rodent. 2 N.Amer. ground-squirrel of
genus Citellus)

BTW I would also welcome the Nahuatl name for 'beaver'.
And that's all for the moment (don't include either 'true squirrels' or
'rabbits'; nor 'quimichme'/'quiquimichtin')

Regards,
Leonel