For mature audiences (was: some doubts)

James Taggart J_Taggart at ACAD.FANDM.EDU
Mon Nov 15 14:39:53 UTC 1999

>Among speakers of the Zacapoaxtla dialect of general Aztec, a mazacoat
was a non venomous snake (a constrictor) that grew to be quite large.
Jim Taggart

 On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Leonel Hermida wrote:

> [...]
>          monequi.
>       continue with caution on earth, for thou hast heard that moderation
>          is necessary."
>     =20
>************
>
>Footnote #6 on page 125 contains the following:
>    Ma=87acoatl: cf. Dibble and Anderson, _Florentine Codex_, Book XI,
>      "Earthly Things," p. 80.
>

>And on page 80 is the following text:
>

>***  1.  mazacohuatl:
>       ma=87acoatl
>     =20
>     2.  tepiton cuacuahue, catzactontli: amo tecuani, amo cueche:
>       it is small, horned, blackish; not poisonous; without rattles.
>     =20
>     3.  yehuatl inic momeyaltia in aquique cenca cihuanequini, zan
>          conichiqui in coni, zan imixtlama in ome ei cihuatl quinamiquiz
>       they who are much given to women, in order to produce semen,
>          just scrape and drink it [in water]; they just capture the
>          eye of two [or] three women they are about to meet.
>     =20
>     4.  in aquin ommotototza in coni, zan cen tlacuauhtilia, ihuan
>          zan cenquizticac in ixinach, ihuan yoyommiqui.
>       he who drinks too much continually erects his virile member
>          and constantly ejects his semen, and dies of lasciviousness.
>

>     =20
>***  5.  tlalmazacohuatl:
>       tlalma=87acoatl
>     =20
>     6.  in tonayan nemi,
>       it lives in the hot lands.
>     =20
>     7.  itoca: tzompilacahuaztli,
>       it is called tzompilacauaztli.
>     =20
>     8.  tliltontli, tzotlactontli, alactontli
>       it is small and black, small and glistening, slippery.
>     =20
>     9.  cacallo atecocollo.
>       it has a shell, a sea-shell.
>     =20
>     10.  inic mitoa tlalmazacohuatl: ca zan nohuian, in milpan nemi:
>          auh inic mazatl itech onca, ca cuacuauhtone.
>       it is called tlalma=87acoatl because it dwells everywhere in
>          the maize fields; and from deer, because it has small horns.
>     =20
>     11.  inin ihcuac neci in quiahui.
>       this one appears when it rains.
>     =20
>     12.  inic nenemi, in oncan quiza iuhquin tizaayotl, iuhquinma
>          tzauctli quinoquitiuh.
>       as it goes about, when it emerges, there it goes exuding as
>          it were a varnish liquid, like glue.
>     =20
>     13.  in aquin quiz i: intla miec qui, no yoyommiqui, ihuan ayotlami:
>       he who drinks this [in an infusion], if he drinks much of it,
>          also dies of lasciviousness, and his moisture ends.
>     =20
>     14.  ic miquiz, iccen ic cocolizquiz.
>       so he will die; he will finally sicken because of it.
>     =20
>
>So it wasn't an herb.  Thanks anyway, Emily and Maximino.

James M. Taggart
Lewis Audenreid Professor of History and Archaeology
Department of Anthropology
Franklin and Marshall College
Lancaster, PA 17604-3003
tel. 717-291-4038