numeral variants

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Sat Nov 27 20:21:48 UTC 1999

This is just for illustrating what I meant by 'variants' in numerals.
I don't include either 'counters' (oontetl) or honorifics (ometzin),  though
I include both stand-alone forms and prefix forms (oon-); (all the following
appear in Joe's FC Word List).

1.
ce. = one; a; an; single.,
ce-. cepa. = once, one time.
cen-.  centzontli. = four hundred; many.
cem-.   cempoalli. = twenty,  cemilhuitl. = one whole day
cep-.    ceppa. = once; one time; first; first time.

2.
omentin. = two; both.
omenti. = two.
omen. = two.
ome. = two; both; couple.
omextin. = two; both.
omexti. = two, both.
om-.  omilhuitl. =  two days,   ompoalilhuitl. = forty days.
on-.   onxihuitl. = two years,   ontzontli.=  eight hundred
oon-.    oontetl. = two.
o-   opa. = twice, two times.
op-  oppa. = two times, twice.
ooc-  ooccan. = in two places.

3.
ye-   yeilhuitl. = three days.
yex-  yexcan. = three places.
e-   eilhuitl. = three days.   epoalxihuitl. = sixty years.
eintin. = three.
ei. = three.
eixtin. = three.
eei. = three.
eex-.   eexcan. = in three places.
ex-.    expa. = three times; thrice.

4
nahui. = four.
nahuin. = four.
nahuinti. = four.
nahuintin. = four.
nahuixti. = four.
nahuixtin. = four.
nauh-.  nauhtzontli. = sixteen hundred.  nahuacalli. = four boats
nah-.   nahmapilli. = four fingers (e.g., of a drink).
na-.  napa. = four times.
nap-. nappa. = four times,  nappoalilhuitl. = eighty days

Maybe a little confusing for beginners, but a fascination just below
the surface...

Best regards,
Leonel