tlaskamati

John Sullivan Hendricks sullivan at logicnet.com.mx
Wed Oct 20 19:57:38 UTC 1999

I ran into the following predicament the other day:
        "Thank you" in modern Huastecan nahuatl is "tlaskamati", which I
usume is related to the classical "tlazocamati".  The problem is that
classical "tlazocamati" conjugates as "nimitztlazocamati", "I thank you".
But in Veracruz today, you can say "titlaskamati", "I thank you", and
"intlaskamati", "I thank you-all" ("in" is the second person plural
subject).  This looks more to me like the classical form, "tinechicnelih",
"You have befriended me = I thank you", where the thanked person conjugates
the verb.  (By the way, I know this isn't actually "conjugation".  What is
it called in languages like nahuatl?).  What is going on here?
        John Sullivan
        Doctorado en Historia
        Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas