just a quick question

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Wed Oct 27 22:06:58 UTC 1999

One possible explanation is the invisibility of syllable-final nasal
consonants in written Nahuatl.  Orthographically they are often represented
by a tilde or bar over the preceding vowel.  Or they are simply left out.
Phonetically there seems to be a reason for this.  Syllable-final resonants
[n,m,l] are "devoiced" in Nahuatl.  That is, they are whispered.  So they
are hard to hear.  Hence, they get left out of writing.  Speakers in some
sence "know they are there."  It's only for nonspeakers that the writing
system is confusing.

Fran Karttunen