momik? mimik? (Insane, crazy, or kook customer?)

Richard Haly rhaly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 18 20:14:26 UTC 1999

Greetings:

Is your Nahuatl-speaking employee from the Sierra Norte de Puebla? Though
NNE could be in Hidalgo. The Sierra Norte de Puebla is about 100 mi  (or
more) ENE of DF.

An exact location can help with an exact translation.

Mimiki  or perhaps mijmikki  (aka. mihmicqui) could be
translated "bird of ill omen" in the Sierra Norte de Puebla. It would come
from the Land of the Dead and would disrupt the order of talticpac, the
middle world in which we spend most of our time.

Just plain mikki is a dead person. mijmikki wd be "someone who having died
repeatedly comes" which means someone who has made more than one journey to
the Land of the Dead and now comes here, thus, the omen.

qualli yetoc nejin.

Richard Haly