San Juan Teperico

David L. Frye dfrye at umich.edu
Thu Oct 28 14:18:21 UTC 1999

Actually, it IS a coincidence -- or rather, it is one of the many "obvious
metaphors" out there. "Hueso" as "stone, pit" is just plain old Spanish,
not Mexican Spanish. (I am also reminded of the verse, I think it was from
Corinthians, which Dostoevsky used as an epigraph to the Brothers
Karamazov, to the effect that "what you sow does not live unless it first
dies.")

David Frye <dfrye at umich.edu>