Mexica gardens

Patrick LESBRE lesbre at univ-tlse2.fr
Thu Sep 16 15:10:23 UTC 1999

Dear Friend,

I only read this message as far as middle of september. If you still
enquiring on prehispanic garden and zoo you can find good evidences in
SAHAGUN (and many spanish relations of Conquest describing Moctezuma's
gardens) and in HERNANDEZ. He quote a painting of a bird in Tezcoco royal
palace.
        Cordialement
At 10:59 20/07/99 -0600, vous avez =E9crit:
>And there were (I have heard it said) more generally
>botanic gardens far in advance of Linnaeus in Europe,
>and what we should call a "zoo",
>in which those animals which for reasons of climate
>could not be kept in the valley of Mexico were=20
>represented by paintings. =20
>
>What are the standard original references for these places
>and what they held?  Are there reports of more recent archaeological
>work on the related irrigation systems which the conquistadors
>or their successors destroyed?
>
>Lloyd Anderson
>Ecological Linguistics

Patrick LESBRE