New name

Nick njcolma1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 02:36:28 UTC 2000

Hello,
my name is Nicholas Javier and I'm a college student
in California.  I've been involved with an Aztec dance
group there, which is an off-shoot of a larger group,
Xitontekiza Atl-Tlachinolli, for almost an entire
semster now.  Recently, today in fact, I earned the
honor of a nahuatl name: "Ixtac yoalli."  I've heard
of the word "yoalli," but I've also heard the word,
"yaolli," and I'm confused over which one was really
meant for me.  My tlatoani gave me this name "White
Warrior," and I think either he got things mixed up,
or I did.  I've also done some research using the
resources you provided, and I picked up the word
"yaotl" as the word for war.  This complicates things
more, 'cause if my tlatoani meant warrior and just
mixed up the spelling, did he also add the -lli
incorrectly?  I'd really like to clear this up, as
"yoalli" means night(I think), among other things, and
I don't think he meant "White Night."
Thank you,
Nick