Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Nahuatl in the early years

John Sullivan jsullivan at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Aug 16 17:30:18 UTC 2000

"i:xa:yac" is just the third person singular possessed form of "xa:yacatl",
"face". The last three letters are dropped in this form. Since "xa:yacatl"
is a body part, you will never see it in the unpossessed form. If you add
"cuahuitl", then you can get an unpossessed form, mask: "cuauhxa:yacatl".
    John Sullivan
    Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas