Cuates, Cholos, Sor Juana, Nahuatl in the early years

melesan at pacbell.net melesan at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 24 00:46:39 UTC 2000

Paul and all,

I only think the word cholo comes from Xolotl. It doesn't mean twin.  For my kids,
it is a gang kid.  In Peru and Chile it is a person usually of African descent.  A
Bolivian told me it means handsome or well off.  Sorry if I gave you the wrong
impression.  Again, take a look at Alfonso Caso's El Pueblo del Sol to explain the
origin of cuate.  I'll look for the exact quote from Caso for you.

Mel