Looking for poems....

John F. Schwaller schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Mon Aug 28 16:43:05 UTC 2000

At 09:06 AM 8/28/00 -0700, you wrote:
>>From: "John F. Schwaller" <schwallr at selway.umt.edu>
>A translation into
>>English which
>>has caused much controversy is John Bierhorst's _Cantares Mexicanos_ which
>>also contains some poems attributed to Nezahualcoyotl.
>
>Controversy? Interesting. This is unknown to me. Can you eleborate?

Bierhorst holds that the poems in the Cantares Mexicanos were part of a
Nahua "Ghost Dance" ritual destined to revivify the essence of fallen
warriors in a crypto-rebellion against the Spanish.  No other scholar who
has studied the song cycle has been able to discover such a theme.

John Frederick Schwaller                             schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Associate Provost                                        406-243-4722
The University of Montana                         FAX 406-243-5937
      	         http://www.umt.edu/history/Nahuatl