Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Nahuatl in the early years

melesan at pacbell.net melesan at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 18 21:56:09 UTC 2000

Paul,

Use the mexicanismo for twin what my high school students in Santa Ana, Ca
use for twin:  cuate from coatl from Quetzalcoatl.  One of the aspects of
this diety was that he was the morning and evening star, Venus.  His twin
was Xolotl (from which I believe but will have to substantiate comes the
word cholo, used throughout Latin America).  See Alfonso Caso's El Pueblo
del Sol (The People of the Sun) for a more scholarly explanation.

Would love to read any part of your novel beforehand.  Am a high school
teacher and we delve into Sor Juana and Mexica or Aztec culture in my high
school Spanish for Spanish Speakers courses.

Mel Sanchez.