a regular problem with Molina

Daniel Mosquera mosquerd at union.edu
Thu Aug 24 23:03:11 UTC 2000

The first entry for "regular" of the Diccionario de Autoridades may hold a clue.
It gives the meanings "comun, ordinario o natural" and follows this with an
example which presents the phrase "Hechas las regulares ceremonias..." It
appears that the definition Molina provides in his dictionary antecedes the
adjective in the same way, that is "regular cosa" or, in other words, cosa
regular, comun o natural. So your analysis that Molina also applies the meaning
to things may be accurate. I hope this may help.

Daniel Mosquera

--
Daniel O. Mosquera
Assistant Professor of Spanish

Tel: (518) 388-6415        Fax: (518) 388-6462
http://www1.union.edu/~mosquerd
--

"If we could see ourselves as others see us, we would vanish on the spot" -- E.
M. Cioran