Name of creation god

alexis wimmer malinal at evhr.net
Tue Dec 19 04:47:33 UTC 2000

John Frederick Schwaller wrote :

> I have just finished Kay Almere Read's Book, _Time and Sacrifice in the
> Aztec Cosmos_.  In it she has the habit of referring to Tecuciztecatl as
> TecuiƧiztecatl.  First of all the c-cedilla (Ƨ) is not needed before the
> -i- since the -c- will be soft.  But the other difference is the Tecuciz-,
> versus Tecuiciz-   Dibble and Anderson consistently name the god
> Tecuciztecatl.  In his book, _Myths of Ancient Mexico_ Graulich gives the
> god the name of Tecciztecatl  and translates it as "He of the Conch
> Shell"  I think that Read is looking at an underlying meaning by changing
> the spelling to Tecuiciz-

tecuciztli, teucciztli, tecciztli and tecuihciztli are variants of the same
noon.
tecu- and teuc- are two orthographic variants
tec- is a phonetic variant.
and tecuih- is an archaic form of teuc-tli, lord. (also spelled tecutli or
tecuhtli).
See
http://www.ifrance.com/nahuatl/t/nahuatlTECUAN.html#TECUIHTLI

Alexis.