Nahuatl Dominant Word Order

Jeff MacSwan macswan at asu.edu
Wed Dec 27 03:09:02 UTC 2000

Davius and others,

I wrote a paper on this that might be of some interest. It discusses Nahuatl
basic word order in the modern varieties in connection with Mark Baker's recent
proposals in his book _Polysynthesis Parameter_. Baker claims that modern
Natuatl word order remains extremely flexible, due to its being a pronominal
argument language. I argue that it is not flexible, and that Nahuatl is not a
pronominal argument language.  The article, which appeared in the Southwest J
of Linguistics, is available online at

http://www.public.asu.edu/~macswan/swjl.pdf

--------------------------
Jeff MacSwan, Ph.D.