Query: Nahuatl for "Venus"

mary l. clayton clayton at indiana.edu
Fri Dec 1 15:45:47 UTC 2000

Mario,
     I think more than likely, the 'PAN' part is the postposition 'pan'
meaning "place", giving the whole "word" the meaning
'dawn-house-place-lord'.
     And Joe campbell (husband), who is looking over my shoulder as I
write, adds that without the 'tekwtli' the word is 'tlahuizcalpan', rather
than 'tlahuizcalpantli'.

     Mary

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, mario wrote:

> In the Nahuatl speaking world, Venus as the morning star was known as
> TLAHUIZCALPANTEKWTLI":  I believe from Tlahuiz(tli) "light, dawn"  +
> cal(li)  house +  Pan(tli) wall + tekwtli

"The lord of the house of the wall of light" or the lord of the house of
dawn.