malinche

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Fri Feb 4 12:32:32 UTC 2000

How about reading one or both of my two essays on the woman and her several
names?  One is a chapter in my book Between Worlds:  Interpreters, Guides,
and Survivors (Rutgers U. Press, 1994 and paperback 1996).  The other is
"Rethinking Malinche" in Susan Schroeder, et al, eds. (U. of Oklahoma Press,
1997).  People will tell you her "original name" was Malinalli Tenepal, but
this is most unlikely.  That story got going in the 1800s, centuries after
her life and death.

Fran Karttunen