malinche

Olin Tezcatlipoca mixcoatl at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 18:54:35 UTC 2000

Frances Karttunen wrote:

> How about reading one or both of my two essays on the woman and her several
> names?  One is a chapter in my book Between Worlds:  Interpreters, Guides,
> and Survivors (Rutgers U. Press, 1994 and paperback 1996).  The other is
> "Rethinking Malinche" in Susan Schroeder, et al, eds. (U. of Oklahoma Press,
> 1997).  People will tell you her "original name" was Malinalli Tenepal, but
> this is most unlikely.  That story got going in the 1800s, centuries after
> her life and death.
>
> Fran Karttunen
>
> ----------
> >From: "glaucia" <glaucia at unicamp.br>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list <nahuat-l at server.umt.edu>
> >Subject: malinche
> >Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2000, 12:35 AM
> >

> > During my master work, I found the word "malinche". As I am not a nahuatl
> > speaker, I am having problems to get the origin, meaning and use of the
> > nahuatl word "malinche".
> > Any help would be very useful.
> >
> > Thankfully:
> >
> > Glaucia Cristiani Montoro
> > glaucia at obelix.unicamp.br
> > Av. Orozimbo Maia 2090 ap 42
> > 13023 - 001 Campinas - SP
> > Brazil - tel: 55 19 - 252 1276

The Spaniards "Christened" her Marina.  Nahuatl has no "r".  Malina.
Give Malina an "honorific" and you get Malin-tzin, Malintzin.  Make it
more Spanish and you get Malin-che, Malinche.  As to Malinalli:  name
one Nahuatl speaking historical person with a "calendar name".  It
doesn't happen.

Which brings up a question I've had for years.  I know there were
"calendar names" which were "baby names" that were held until maybe
puberty, and definitely changed when one became a warrior.  Also
possibly names were changed even after the person had died.
Nezahualcoyotl seems more of a name to be given after one has died as a
metaphor symbolizing the person.

Any information out there as to this process.  Florentine Codex doesn't
seem to clear this up.

Olin Tezcatlipoca
http://www.mexica-movement.org