malinche II

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Sat Feb 5 15:41:36 UTC 2000

Once again, I would like to direct interested listeros to my essay
"Rethinking Malinche" in Indian Women of Early Mexico, edited by Sue
Schroeder, et al.  I take up the multiple identification of dona Marina,
Cortes, and also another Spaniard who learned Nahuatl early with what the
Spaniards pronounced "malinche."  I suggest that in a world that until the
moment of contact had known no malintzins or any word like that, the people
who came into contact with the Spaniards and their interpreting chains
(Aguilar-dona Maina-Cortes and variations on that theme), may have believed
the humans involved to be agents of a previously unknown supernatural force
that was called Malintzin/Malinche.

Fran Karttunen