INDIANS and some more thoughts...

micc at home.com micc at home.com
Sun Feb 6 18:19:07 UTC 2000

Chema,

You have succinctly captured the essence of this complex, human, and
passionate subject....

To me, it is not a matter of what labels we choose for ourselves.... it
is how we respect the labels others have chosen and how we carry
ourselves in our path of life.

Living a life or anger, hatred and, dogmatic purity is not a sign of
being a warrior.  It is a sign of not having a high intelligence ( Do
THE NAMES Hitler, Stalin, Balboa, Alvarado, Atilla, Tlacaelel, Idi Amin,
Ghengis Khan ring a bell?  They did not kill millions of innocent people
by themselves, they had "noble and loyal warriors who did the
butchering)

too many people (especially young people....AND YES I TOO WAS ONE OF
THEM... MANY CENTURIES AGO!!) spend so much of their sacred and finite
energy, re-batlling the battles that were won or lost long ago.

i did not use ...>  You my son, most precious feather, must not fall
into this darkness...."facetiously.... yaoquichtli IS OUR SON (OR
DAUGHTER.....although correctly a female would be yaocihuatl) and he/she
IS A PRECIOUS FEATHER to our people....We chicanos have more angry and
lost,young men rotting in prison than we do attending college...THAT IS
A TRAGIC WASTE OF LIFE..... and no amount of revgisionism, hatred or
political correctness can change that!

i am 45 years old.  I have been involved in the
Chicano/indigenous/olitical/spiritual/educational/economic struggle for
27 years.  I have seen  many sincere activists end up wasting their
lives with anger, self-defeating behavior (drugs, alcohol, etc) i have
seen self-appointed prophets, leaders, elders, and so-called Nahuatl
experts come into our communities and take advantage of the naive and
innocent who are looking for something or someone to help them find
meaning in their life.

it is only after we have climbed the pyramid that we can see how far we
can fall....

mario e. aguilar
www.aguila-blanca.com

 I never state that we should "we should accept it (even though
"indian/indio" is incorrect),
> and move on.

i simply stated that for those people who LIVE AN INDIGENOUS LIFE
EVERYDAY (as opposed to those who study it, dream of it, or wish it upon
themselves) indian/indio is not a big issue. The bigg issue for them is
economic, political, linguistic, spiritual and gentetic survival.

that is why I write my ..." soliloquy. It
> was so full of un-topical, irrelevant, random comments tied together with
> personal attacks that I had to read it several times to see a point."

The point is that there are too many people fidgeting over how many
indians/indigenists are dancing on the head of a pin.