is it zin or tzin??

Matthew Montchalin mmontcha at OregonVOS.net
Tue Feb 8 02:34:32 UTC 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 GESX1CKAH at aol.com wrote:

|I was told that if you add "zin" after a word that this meant beloved...
|for example if I used the name of earth, Tlalli and added zin to make
|Tlallizin as beloved earth... is this correct?

Would that be the same thing as the suffixes:

   -tsi
   -tsin
   -tsinko

Similar to the -chen suffix in German, as in, mein Liebchen (my
sweetheart)?  Can this suffix go on verbs or pronouns, or does it
only go on nouns?  (I am referring to page 136 of Thelma Sullivan's
Compendium of Nahuatl Grammar.)  What kind of nouns can *not*
receive this suffix?  For instance, how about atl (water)?  Is
there an affectionate form of atl, say, atoltsi, my cherished
water?