is it zin or tzin??

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Tue Feb 8 13:03:08 UTC 2000

> Frances,
>
> it would be interesting to see if the Tlaxcalteca honorific methodology
> of speaking to their elders has been transmitted to the modern Mexican
> Spanish spoken in the area.

Yes it has.  In all its complexity.

But there are complicated forces at work. Some communities dispense with the
honorifics in the interest of community solidarity, and even in
Puebla-Tlaxcala, language shift to Spanish looms.

Jane and Ken Hill and Alberto Zepeda (of San Miguel Canoa) carried out a
long-term study of Nahuatl language use in the Malinche volcano area and
published it as a book titled "Speaking Mexicano."

Albertohtzin has also team-taught with Joe Campbell and me, teaching those
four levels of Malinche-area honorifics to quite a few other people from the
USA, Latin America, and even one from Africa.

Fran