is it zin or tzin??

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Tue Feb 8 23:13:29 UTC 2000

It's been an intriguing idea for a very, very long time, but the peculiar
distribution of Spanish diminutive -ito/a in the Americas is much broader
than the formerly Nahuatl-speaking areas of core Mesoamerica.

Still, I feel (as everyone else does) that the difunditos/muertitos usage of
Mexico parallels the Nahuatl use so closely that it's hard to convince
oneself that they have nothing to do with each other.  The only
quasi-first-person use of honorific -tzin that Jim Lockhart and I found in
the hundreds of colonial Nahuatl documents we read was in the case of a
woman dictating her testament and making provisions for her corpse to lie
before the altarof her local church before burial.  Referring to herself
after death, she used the honorific.

Fran Karttunen