tlahtoa

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Wed Feb 9 14:17:36 UTC 2000

It's the opposite.  The saltillo functions as the plural marker in the
present indicative.

Verbs like tlahtoa: shorten the final vowel before saltillo and also when
the a: is word-final, so you never see/hear that it is long in the present
indicative.  But in the habitual present (that adds -ni) and the imperfect
(that adds -ya), the a: is long.

In the future, where the a: is dropped before the future suffix -z, the
vowel goes away but casts its length back on the preceding vowel.  Then you
do get o: as in nitlahto:z "I will speak."

Fran