tlahtoa / saltillo

John Sullivan Hendricks sullivan at logicnet.com.mx
Thu Feb 10 00:52:42 UTC 2000

Galen,
	First of all, if I'm not mistaken, Carochi distiguishes between the
pronunciation of the word-internal and the word-final saltillo.  In other
words, saltillo refers not to a specific sound, but to a distinct linguistic
element whose sound may vary in different environments (I know there is a
word for this in linguistics: is it phoneme?  I can't remember.)  The
important thing is that this linguistic element (with its sound variations)
was used then and is still used now as the plural marker for the present
tense.  Its pronunciation may have evolved (although I'm not so sure), but
its function in this case is the same.
	I don't think what you hear at the end of the singular indicative is a
glottal stop.  This problem is precisely what called my attention to the
aspirated nature of the word final saltillo.  One of the native speakers I
work with (who is from Chapulhuacanito, municipio de Tamazunchale, San Luis
Potosí), pronounces what would standardly be considered a word final "i", as
an "e" (Spanish pronunciation reference).  Noting also that he uses a "t"
dialect, he would say, for example, "ayohte", instead of "ayohtli" for
calabaza.  The fun comes when a non-native speaker has to distinguish
between the singular and plural forms of preterite verbs.  Since he uses the
"old" singular marker, "-qui", which he pronounces "-que", we have for
example: "tinehnenque" = you walked, versus, "tinehnenqueh" = we walked.
When I first heard these two words, they sounded pretty much alike to me.
So I put my ear as close to my friends mouth as I could, and listened hard.
This is what I discovered.  First, the plural form ends with a barely
audible aspiration.  This is the saltillo.  The pronunciation of the vowel
which ends the singular form, terminates with a closing off of the throat.
But this is true of all word final vowels.  If they weren't pronounced this
way (with a definite end/closing of the throat), then air would escape the
mouth at the end of the pronunciation, and you will have added the saltillo.
(Which you don't want to do, unless that's really what you want to do,
right?)

	John Sullivan
	Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas