tlahtoa / saltillo

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 10 18:07:28 UTC 2000

YES! that is a glottal stop. English speakers don't do it after every
utterance that ends in a vowel, however. Standard German speakers do do it
with every utterance that begins with a vowel. Galen's comments were quite
correct as to the nature of the beast. It is a common phoneme throughout
Indian languages in North America (no kudos, Dr, Greenberg!),

Best,
Michael