tlahtoa / saltillo

Galen Brokaw brokawg at mail.lafayette.edu
Thu Feb 10 22:23:29 UTC 2000

Mary,
Thank you for your comments. As I was writing my response to John's message, I
realized that if all vowel final words ended in a glottal stop and that was the
only place it appeared, then this might present a problem in my analysis. But I
didn't take the next step and articulate for myself the reasons. If I understand
you then, in a dialect in which words can only end in -?, -h, and -C, the glottal
stop /?/ really has no phonemic value because it is kind of a default for vowel
final words. It would have phonetic value, but only as part of an allophone of
whatever vowel the word ended with.
I also see the utility in maintaining the vocabulary saltillo/glottal stop to
refer to the /h/ eventhough it was originally a /?/, but it just seems so
misleading if you don't include a qualification explaining the difference between
Classical and modern dialects.
I guess part/most of my disagreement with John had to do with this issue of the
semantics of "saltillo". If most people use the term to refer to the modern /h/, I
guess maybe I can conform.
John, Mary has started to sway me to the dark side. :-)
Galen