tlahtoa / saltillo

John Sullivan Hendricks sullivan at logicnet.com.mx
Fri Feb 11 04:49:50 UTC 2000

Galen,
	Just two observations.  In the Huastecan dialects I work with, I would say
the saltillo is pretty close to a glottal stop when it is found between a
vowel and a consonant.  So in this environment, the glottal stop would be
phonemic.  Also, like I remarked before, Carochi distinguishes between the
pronunciation of word internal and word final saltillos, so perhaps, just as
in modern Nahuatl, the Classical saltillo had several allophones.
	John Sullivan
	Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas