appropriation of a culture

John Sullivan Hendricks sullivan at logicnet.com.mx
Tue Feb 15 21:31:20 UTC 2000

I don't think people should cooperate in any way with war games.
Supposedly, since the birth of the UN or League of Nations(?), one of
humanity's official goals has been to end war.  Obviously we haven't done
too great a job, but that doesn't change the imperative.  I probably
wouldn't have responded to this issue, but here in Mexico we have been going
through tough times with respect to authoritarianism vs. democracy.  The
federal government has shamelessly unmasked the difference between its
discourse on democratization, and its real authoritarian practices with
respect to the UNAM.  I'm not knocking Mexico: democracy has never had a
place in US educational institutions.  Mexican public universities are
trying to make it work, and I guess the most visible failures and setbacks
are always suffered by those on the front lines.  Anyway, dialogue is what
we should practice, support, teach, and cooperate with; not games that teach
people how to fight.
	John Sullivan
	Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas