not a pot head, just wondering

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 21 10:38:52 UTC 2000

The term "hemp" has been used to designate other plants beside cannabis.
<Massane>, used by the early French in the Illinois Country and translated
consistently into English as "hemp" was not cannabis. I believe the early
historic use of "hemp" refers to any twine-producing plant.

MIchael McCafferty

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Mark David Morris wrote:

> Lucas,
>
> Simeon's dictionary gives the following definition:  Planta que tiene el
> olor y el sabor del anis; se la echaba al fuego en ves de incienso.
> Servia para curar gran numero de enfermedades, particularmente las de los
> ojos (ref. Sahagun, Clavijero and Francisco Hernandez).  That about the
> eyes sounds like marijuana (African hemp?) but I've never thought it had
> the smell nor taste of anis.  This yauhtli, then, may or may not be a hemp
> plant, with common characteristics with the marijuana plant, which again,
> I believe originates in Africa--but maybe the Rastafarians just convinced
> me of that. It deserves further investigating, and I could recommend the
> Florentine Codice (Sahagun) or this Nova plantarum animalium et mineralium
> mexicanorum historia by Francisco Hernandez.
> Mark Morris

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more
> grief. Eccl 1:18
>
> To realize that our knowledge is ignorance, this is a noble insight. To
> regard our ignorance as knowledge, this is mental sickness.  Only when we
> are sick of our sickness, shall we cease to be sick.  The Sage is not
> sick, being sick of sickness; This is the secret of health.  TTC 71
>
> MDM, PhD Candidate
> Dept. of History, Indiana Univ.

Michael McCafferty
C.E.L.T.
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Glory" (what a word!) consists in going
from the me that others don't know
to the other me that I don't know.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez