phoneme vrs. allophone

Coon, Brad bcoon at montana.edu
Fri Feb 11 22:40:10 UTC 2000

A simple one that springs to mind is English /t/ which has several
allophones.
In [top], the [t] is aspirated (has a breathy [h] like quality to it)
whereas
in [stop], it doesn't.  I can't represent them correctly with this keyboard
and email program but if we designate them as [t] in [stop] and [t'] in
[top], these two are allophones of /t/.

Brad Coon                             (406) 994-6026
Reference Librarian              bcoon at montana.edu

The Libraries, Montana State University-Bozeman
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320