Firefly Lore

David L. Frye dfrye at umich.edu
Thu Jan 20 15:54:11 UTC 2000

Likewise in Mexquitic, SLP (one of the former Tlaxcalan settlements in the
north, where Nahuatl was spoken until 1850 or so). "Brujas" (there is no
nahuatl word used) are seen as lights dancing along the hills at night,
and are said to come into houses to suck people dry -- why else do old
people look so wrinkled, after all? But in the three years I lived in
Mexquitic I don't recall ever seeing a firefly -- too high & dry, I
suppose. The "naturalistic" explanation of the lights would probably be
lightning flashes.