Luminous brujas

Ben Nelson bnelson at asu.edu
Tue Jan 25 23:23:54 UTC 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF6789.556B2E32

Maybe it takes us too far afield, but these accounts are strikingly similar
in some ways to ones that I got in the Maya Highlands (Chuj region).  Beings
called "Chiapas" live in the cerros, where they keep great stores of tequila
and food, which they can hurl from one mountaintop to another.  These beings
are spirit-extensions of individual humans and can mediate for them in the
living world.  They can be seen on clear nights as luminous dwarfs who slide
smoothly through the air just above the ground.  Under such circumstances,
it can be dangerous to encounter one, but they can also do good.  Not
everyone can see them, and they are almost never seen in the rainy season.

Ben Nelson