Movie Boycott -Stereotyping Native People

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Fri Jan 28 02:54:23 UTC 2000

> Most people refer to the idea that Cortes was mistaken for
> Quetzalcoatl as a real life example of Native Americans
> deifying white men.  However, I challenge anybody to find a
> reference to Cortes as Quetzalcoatl that predates the 18th
> century.

Try the end of Chapter 3 of Book 12 of the Florentine Codex.  But also bear
in mind that that account of the conquest was composed as much as a
half-century after the events by Bernardino de Sahagun's Nahua assistants,
people who certainly needed an explanation of why things happened as they
did.

Fran Karttunen