Diafrasismos

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Mon Jan 31 15:45:59 UTC 2000

> Three Wishes
>
> 1) Could the learned listeros share their favourite diafrasismos in
> English and Nahuat? Riddles would be welcome as well.

Adages, difrasismos, and riddles in Nahuatl, Spanish, and English are to be
found at the end of the Anderson and Dibble translation of Book 6 of the
Florentine Codex.

It's better to go to the source than to get these second-hand.

It's surprising how many libraries have the Anderson and Dibble FC.  Even i=
Honolulu, to my astonishment.

For modern riddles, Jose Antonio Flores Farf=E1n and Cleofas Ramirez Celestin=
(a Nahuatl speaker from Xalitla, Guerrero, and a superb artist) have a whol=
series of publications for children based on modern riddles.  Some of their
publications are trilingual in Nahuatl, Spanish, and English.  They are ver=
generous with distribution of their publications, which are visually
gorgeous as well as excellent examples of modern Nahuatl.  For more
information write to Jose Antonio at:

University of Arizona
 College of Education
 Language, Reading, and Culture
 Tucson, AZ  85721

You can also find Cleofas's art and some riddles and stories at the
following children's website (also highly recommended!):

kokone.com.mx

The English version of the website used to work, but lately I can only get
it in Spanish/Nahuatl.

Fran