the -ti- in -titlan in placenames

Susan H Noguez snoguez at juno.com
Fri Jul 14 16:24:42 UTC 2000

Dear Listeros:

I vaguely remember having had a long discussion about the meaning of
Teotihuacan in 1999. Did we decide that the best translation would be
"The Place of Apotheosis"??

Now I'm still working with place names in the various manuscripts, and to
me it's still a puzzle the difference between "Popocatepetl" and
"Popocatepec", a word  never seen in the codices or Colonial Nahuatl
texts. The reason might be something linked with the cosmovision. As Mr.
Appleyard says: "...a hill is one thing and a village (altepetl) is
another thing..."

Any input about the matter will be welcome

Saludos

Xavier Noguez