1st person honorifics?

Amapohuani at aol.com Amapohuani at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 18:35:49 UTC 2000

Listeros:

Re first person honorifics. The last posting is included at the end of this
message.

The citation is from one of the pages just preliminary to page one of fray
Juan de Gaona's COLLOQVIOS DE la paz, y tranquilidad Christiana, en lengua
Mexicana (1582, Pedro Ocharte). Fray Miguel de Zarate prepared this edition
of his deceased colleague.  Zarate (under EXAMEN) twice indicates that he
"corrected" the original, acting under the orders of the then-provincial of
the Provincia del Santa Evangelio. Just before page one is a page that begins
'COLLOQVIOS DE la paz" [etc.] that includes the information that they are
"agora nueuamente corregidos, y anadidos, y puesta auctoridades, y citados
los lugares por el muy. R. Padre Fray Miguel de carate" etc. [I leave out
special characters since they do not go well over cyberspace.] What was cited
is essentially a loose translation from the Spanish of this page to the
Nahuatl of the next page where the citation is taken from.

This is standard Nahuatl for the subject matter and not more or less
honorific than anything else you might encounter in similar texts, or even in
those done by Nahuas for their own purposes; also see how Chimalpahin writes
about various clerics. A Nahua or a cleric could have written it - literally,
since Nahuas helped many times with texts (published or manuscript) and the
author of record was more of a supervisor than the actual writer per se. In
this case (see prologue in fray Juan Baptista's sermonario of 1606) we know
that the trilingual (Latin/Nahuatl/Spanish) Nahua, Hernando de Ribas, who
helped Molina with his grammar and dictionary, also apparently  helped Gaona
with this work (called by Baptista "Dialogos" if I am not mistaken).
Baptista's own extensive corpus was entirely co-authored by Augustin de la
Fuente, who was also the "corrector de lengua" of fray Juan de Mijanos', OSA,
ESPEJO DIUINO of 1607.

In any case this is exactly how people wrote about themselves in such
situations - not in the first person, but as if they were writing about
someone else [and it may have been Ribas or some other Nahua who literally
wrote the cited passage]. It would be an incompetent friar, and an even more
incompetent Nahua teacher and aide of theirs, who would let any cleric write
"nehuatzin" or the like. Literally using first-person honorifics in the first
person would have made any Nahua aide/teacher shudder, and marked the friar
as lingustically impaired. This brings to mind the passage in the BANCROFT
DIALOGUES where the priest replies in a flat non-honorific Nahuatl to a
query, and to Book 12 of the FLORENTINE CODEX where Cortes (through his
interpreter) speaks in the same way - in a traditional Nahua context, real
gaffes and marks (from a Nahua-centric point of view) of a complete barbarian
[with apologies to any who feel I am slamming the barbarians too much].

In general, my take on the friars/clerics who used Nahuatl is that they were
pretty careful about their use of honorific/reverential forms, perhaps too
much so at times.

Ye ixquich.
Barry D. Sell