Linguistic rights

Mark David Morris mdmorris at indiana.edu
Thu May 18 02:01:29 UTC 2000

Dear Nahuat-'ers,

In the last communications, I see two major problems.  First, I would like
to doubt that poor indigenous people in the Americas do not also feel
cultural poverty, or psychological poverty in consequence of social
discrimination, or being poor in consequence of being indigenous.  It's a
possibility.  Second, that the creation of universal language decrees and
several high paid government posts will be of any sufficient help. I
believe that until democractic access to resources is made availabe to
indigenous people within their own culture and their own language there
will not be a fair place for indigenous cultures.  I may be trying to make
a point to defend my earlier statement, but I really disagree with the
assumption that I fundamentally misunderstand the issues at stake.

sincerely,

Mark Morris

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more
grief. Eccl 1:18

To realize that our knowledge is ignorance, this is a noble insight. To
regard our ignorance as knowledge, this is mental sickness.  Only when we
are sick of our sickness, shall we cease to be sick.  The Sage is not
sick, being sick of sickness; This is the secret of health.  TTC 71

MDM, PhD Candidate
Dept. of History, Indiana Univ.