Mexican wild cats; matrix/embed

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Wed May 24 16:11:51 UTC 2000

  Michael Mccafferty <mmccaffe at indiana.edu> wrote:-
> ... I believe this is another term for mountain lion. ...A salient feature
> of this cat is its tail, cuitlatl. ...

Thanks. As the ".uk" at the end of my email address may point at, I am not the
best knowledgeable about American deer and wild cats. What threw me off the
track was Andrews's textbook translating {cuitlamiztli} as "excrement lion"!

Is Andrews's textbook's terminology of "matrixes" and "embeds" generally known
among Nahuatl scholars, or should I avoid using those terms?

As a Nahuatl name, is {Ci:tlalya:ni} = "star traveller, traveller among the
stars" valid and accaptable? Would the -ly- become -ll-?