-tla:n and -tlan

Chichiltic Coyotl notoca at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 19:09:41 UTC 2000

The short answer to your query is that there are two locative suffixes and
both are spelt the same. The only difference is the vowel length: -tla:n
(long vowel length) and -tlan.

Unfortunately, this is where it gets a little confusing. I located two
sources to explain the meanings, however, both sources contradict each other
when referring to the vowel length.

The sources with their explanations are:

1) "An Analytical Dictionary of Nahuatl - 1983 Edition"
-tla:n (long vowel) meaning "place of / place at". In the dictionary the "a"
has a small line above (a macron, I believe) and this marks the vowel as
long. This suffix connects directly to a noun stem when creating place
names.
e.g. Tepoztla:n i.e tepoztli + -tla:n

-tlan meaning "below, next to (the base of), among". This suffix can only
affix to a noun stem to form a place name via -ti- (a thing called a
ligature or a connector).
e.g. Cuauhtitlan  i.e. cuahuitl + ti + tlan

2) "A Posting By F Karttunen - May 1999"
"There are two locative suffixes that are spelled '-tlan'. One is actually
-tlan with a short vowel and means 'place of/at'.
The other is -tla:n and means 'below, next to the base of'. You can tell
these two apart even if vowel length is not marked, because the second one,
-tla:n, attaches to the noun with -ti-."

These are the two sources. As you can see they are very similar except for
the contradiction in which suffix has a long vowel. Which one is correct - I
do not know. Maybe someone on the list can clarify.