Mexican wild cats :: erratum

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed May 24 12:53:03 UTC 2000

I can't be sure, Anthony, but I believe this is another term for mountain
lion. Someone else will chime in, I'm sure, to affirm this or offer
something else. A salient feature of this cat is its tail, cuitlatl. The
same idea shows up elsewhere in native American languages, as for example
in Algonquian.

On Tue, 23 May 2000 anthony.appleyard at umist.ac.uk wrote:

> Sorry, erratum: my emailer's spelling checker suddenly decided to act
> silly. I wrote:-
>
> ... A Nahuatl / English bilingual example in Andrews's textbook
> describes a big Mexican wild cat called the {cuitlamiztli}, ...
> Anthony Appleyard

Michael McCafferty
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University