matl

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Tue Oct 10 11:49:21 UTC 2000

The most authoritative study of Ruiz de Alarcon's work is the Andrews and
Hassig translation and annotation published by the University of Oklahoma
Press.  A&H claim that the Matl in question is a variant form of ma:itl
'hand/arm' (which is cognate, I suppose, with the unit of measure cited in
the following message).  A&H say that in the context of this particular
charm, it is one of the appellations of Quetzalcoatl.  They don't give any
further interpretation.  When there isn't much context, there is a lot of
wisdom to avoiding speculation.