matl

Mark David Morris mdmorris at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 10 22:34:50 UTC 2000

Whether the land unit "matl" derived from "maitl" Galen cites has
connection with the "matl" of matlactli (ten) and if either of those
relate to the green-blue "matl" is unclear to me.  However, if folks would
like I can run the question past Luis Reyes on Saturday and pass on my
notes. I am always more than satisfied with his explanations, and perhaps
others would also find them so.  We went over Xihuitl last Saturday, for
example, and he gave a very succinct explanation of its semantic field,
including a pretty good reason why comets are seen as bad omens.

best,

Mark Morris

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more
grief. Eccl 1:18

To realize that our knowledge is ignorance, this is a noble insight. To
regard our ignorance as knowledge, this is mental sickness.  Only when we
are sick of our sickness, shall we cease to be sick.  The Sage is not
sick, being sick of sickness; This is the secret of health.  TTC 71

MDM, PhD Candidate
Dept. of History, Indiana Univ.