Huitlacoche or Cuitlacoche

alexis wimmer malinal at evhr.net
Sat Oct 14 04:10:33 UTC 2000

>vendredi 13 octobre 2000 20:07 John F. Schwaller écrivait:
>

>The Karttunen Dictionary has:
>cuitlacoch-in : an ear of maize infected with a fungus that turns the
>kernels dark gray and deforms them, edible and considered a delicacy, from
>cuitl(a)-tl - excrement [ and coch(i) - to sleep?]

cuitlacochin seems to have two other meanings :
1. also called cuitlacochtototl, a bird,  the curve-billed thrasher
‘Toxostoma curvirostre’ (Dibble Anderson) Regenpfeifer (Seler 1927,106) .
This bird announced rains. Dibble Anderson Florentine Codex Book XI p.51.
2. a staf which was ornemented with thrasher’s  feathers. This
'thrasher-staf' was used in dances to call rains. Dibble Anderson Florentine
Codex Book II p. 75 (‘ycuitlacuchcho’ = his  thrasher (stave).
I would be happy to know where the form : ‘cuitlacocheh’ occurs.
Thankfully.
Alexis