Numeral classifiers

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Wed Apr 4 21:09:23 UTC 2001

We're looking for numeral classifiers that combine with numbers and other
quantifiers.  The set in use in the 16th century included -tetl for
lump-shaped things (tamales, eggs, beans, jicamas, melons, squashes, etc.
It was extended to Spanish chickens when they were introduced.  Still
survives in "cente" and "onte."); -pantli for things arranged in rows
(fences, furrows in a field, people in a line); -tlamantli for things that
can be folded or stacked (shoes, papers, plates, etc.); -ipilli for counting
tortillas, woven pieces of cloth, sheets of amate paper, etc., by 20s; and
-olotl for counting things arranged like kernels of maize on a cob.

We're looking for modern uses of -pantli, -tlamantli, -ipilli, and -olotl
(not as nouns but attached to numbers or other quantifiers).

Thanks for your thought about -can.  I think Chicomecan, despite the number
as the first element, is a place name, not a way of counting something else.

Fran