Length of the vowel in -tzin"

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Mon Apr 9 21:58:40 UTC 2001

People who yearn for symmetry in morphology want the vowel in -tzin/-tzi:n
to be long to make it like the long vowels in the other attitudinal suffixes
(-to:n, -pi:l, -po:l).  I don't think this is much of a reason.  But the
fact that the vowels in the other suffixes are long MIGHT have been a factor
in changing the one in -tzin to long over time, regularizing it in the same
fashion of English has regularized many "strong" verbs.

There is no doubt that -tzin has the reflex of a long vowel in most or all
varieties of Nahuatl as spoken recently.

The glyphic evidence, as you say, is not strong, since the glyphs seem to
have been gross approximations.  Someone with a good sense of contrastive
vowel length should go through the Codex Mendoza, for instance, and see how
many unequivocal cases of vowel-length conflict between elements of names
and the symbols used for the.  Does vowel length matter in glyphs or not?

Fran