wordplay in nahuatl

Chichiltic Coyotl notoca at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 9 09:55:56 UTC 2001

Niltze Sanchez

I don't see a double meaning. I believe there are actually two different
words. First there is tonaca meaning our flesh, meat. (Notice the lack of
long vowels.)The stems of this are to = our and nacatl = flesh, meat.

The other word is to:naca:yo:tl which means daily sustenance. It apparently
specifically refers to maize. There is no prefix meaning "our" in this
construction. I think the stems for this are to:na = to be warm, sunny i.e.
from which is derived to:nalli = warmth of the sun, day, Ca: a ligature and
Yo: a suffix that gives the sense of the english suffixes -ness, -hood,
-ship. Even though it's not a direct translation it appears to have the
concept of something abundant like agricultural produce, particularly maize.
Maize being the daily sustenance of the people.

Thus To:naca:te:uctli (I've changed the spelling) could mean
Abundance/Sustenance Lord.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

EZR