"o", "u", and "u"

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Thu Jan 11 18:34:59 UTC 2001

Dear John,

The orthographic "u" of "hu" and "cu" is not a vowel like the other two.
It's part of digraphs for the consonants /w/ and (resorting to yet another
digraph because I can't do superscripts in email) /kw/. This latter
represents labialized /k/ as in English quick or Spanish cuando, but
permitted phonotactically at both the beginning and end of syllables in
Nahuatl.

So you are really only looking for two distinct vowel symbols.  The hu and
cu are predictable packages.  Won't u and o do?

Fran